Tuesday, September 15, 2009

September 14 (12 miles)

We move through this life without looking around much, staying within our own little fields of vision and experience and rarely if ever getting a glimpse outside. Everyday I see this principle in effect to absurd lengths along the Lady Bird Lake hiking trail. Folks insert their headphones and get all pumped up to a soundtrack of their choosing and disconnect from the world around them. I see these fine folks bumping into other constantly, the blank look on their faces traded for a quick look of shamed shock. I guess this is why I never use headphones. I suppose it might make the run a bit easier, get myself "pumped," if you will, but I have little interest in disconnecting myself from the world around me. I want hyper-awareness of my environment, I want to see and feel and hear everything as it blurs by me.

And that's the irony of this running stuff sometimes. You dive deep into the brain, further into your own mind, but it makes you more and more aware of the world outside. Whoa. I think I should start a new-age running academy, where we all pantingly try to talk about our inner revelations while sweating and grunting. We would probably end up spittling all over each other but I guess it's a fair trade. The truth comes at a price, my friend.

Speaking of price, I hereby found the "New Age Running Academy." It will cost you one beer per session.

We will run and discuss politics and philosophy and what we ate for dinner last night. We will discuss until the pain becomes too much, then we'll all just groan together. It might seem a bit suggestive to a random passer-by, but I assure, nothing will be suggested by our grunting, aside from the obvious suggestion in everyone's minds that we take a long break and drink a cold beer.

2 comments:

  1. sign me up, man.

    congratulations on reaching 12 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that you're saying this... I always thought before I ran that I would want to listen to music but I ended up only doing it a couple times because I didn't like feeling closed off from what was around me.

    Also, I realized that running is really similar to meditating. Meditating involves letting your mind go where it wants, breathing heavily, and not doing much. Running is exactly the same except you're not sitting still.

    I've even had the same physical sensation (a "high") from running as I've had from meditating... not that I'm a pro at either, but it's something I noticed.

    ReplyDelete